Wednesday, May 16, 2007

quick update

After spending about 3 days touring Baghdad, we moved about 15 miles northwest of the city to the Forward Operating Base (FOB) of Taji. We moved by CH-47 Chinook helicopter, an old friend of mine from Afghanistan. This is the big, double rotor helicopter that does a great deal of troop and equipment moves for the military. Once we arrived at Taji we were herded into buses and driven to the Iraqi FOB nearby. Our accommodations were more of the same; open-bay barracks style living at its best.

The next week we spent going through more cultural awareness and language training, very similar to the training I've written about before. This past Sunday we completed that training and finally met the American Soldiers we are replacing. Another move, but this time to our final living arrangements! I have pictures, but the best way to describe where I am staying is to paint you a picture. Imagine the most rundown, seedy looking motel you've ever seen; the kind you look at and sort of laugh and grimace at the same time. That's where I am staying. It's not really that bad. It has a bed and a roof so I cant complain. I will post pictures soon.

I've been meaning to post a new entry for a couple weeks, but since arriving here I haven’t had much internet access. I have a great deal to write about, especially since I started my mission this week. I will be doing quite a few things this next year, and working with the Iraqi Army everyday. It's going to be tough and frustrating but I think ultimately it will be a truly fulfilling mission. I will write more about my initial impressions later this week - check back soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK JASON!
We are thinking of you everyday. I hope that you are adjusting to your new surroundings alright. Stay positive and we will see you soon! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

Erin & Kevin