Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A New Rant

I feel a new rant slowly starting to build, but I don't have all the ammo I need for it just yet. I'll give you hint - it's going to involve military awards, especially the one's given out for a "combat" deployment. It will also involve who gets what award, and how an LT that works in an office near the general is much more likely to get a high award then the same LT leading his platoon on daily combat patrols. Its utter and complete BS, and its one of the many reasons I tried to get out of the Army 3 years ago. I didn't say it was THE reason - there are alot of them that tie together and make for one BIG reason. This is just the one that is sitting on top of my pile today. Stay tuned for more . . .

NOTE: this has nothing to do with any award I may or may not get from this deployment. I just heard some talk about the high levels of awards being given out and it got me thinking back to Afghanistan. Hence the rant. That could be coming . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fire for Effect Jason!

Jo Castillo said...

My husband always said that if you do something wrong you will get promoted or an award. When the list comes out the judge/boss will say, "Gee, I remember hearing that name somewhere. I'll vote for him/her." People were given good reviews to get them moved/promoted out of their hair.

I'm anxiously awaiting your post.

Hope your Christmas and holidays are going great.

membrain said...

I look forward the rant. I've heard rumours of this. I know from books I have read that the practice was widespread in Vietnam.

Bag Blog said...

Jo is right. It is not just the Army, but all business, corporations, school districts, etc, but we look forward to the rant anyway. It is nice when someone who truly deserves an award get one.

Jason said...

Unfortunately, I wont have enough info to expound on my rant until march at the earliest. I guess it just bubbled to the surface recently because we've started submitting people here for awards. In Afghanistan I saw some ridiculous standard, from every PL/PSG in the 82nd getting a certain award to no one about a CPT getting the same award for our rotation. There is just no standard and so awards, IMHO, have become diluted to a degree . . .

Anonymous said...

You could not be farther from the truth. Over two deployments to OIF as a Platoon Leader and CO I saw young NCOs get the raw end of the deal while SIGO's who kept the Colonel's internet running for his fantasy sports get Bronze Stars...absolutely disgusting in my opinion. If you need any ammo for your rant I would be more than happy to provide some. Like you, just one of the reasons I got out.